Poached Fish with Seashore Vegetables
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4-5 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
1 bay leaf and a few sprigs of fennel or dill
A couple handfuls of seashore vegetables like sea spinach, sea aster, sea purslane etc with any woody stalks removed.
1. Lay the fish fillets in a shallow, wide frying pan or roasting tray. Just cover with water, add the oil, bay leaf and fennel and season.
2. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid or greaseproof paper and simmer very gently for a couple minutes.
3. Transfer the fish to a warmed serving plate and cover.
4. Briefly cook the seashore vegetables in the liquid for 20 seconds then remove with a slotted spoon and scatter over the fish.
5. Rapidly boil the cooking liquid until it’s reduced by two thirds then spoon over the fish and serve.
6. Pair with a fresh Plymouth Gin Gimlet which is Gin, lime juice and sugar syrup. A delicious, fresh twist on the classic Naval cocktail that has a wonderful bright, sharpness.