Deep Fried and Grilled Anchovies with Shaved Squash Salad
Corn flour for dusting
150 ml Plymouth Gin
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
A handful of small tasty salad leaves
A small wedge of squash, peeled, seeds removed and thinly shaved with a peeler
1 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
The juice of half a lemon
1. Preheat about 8cm of oil to 160-180°C in a large thick bottomed saucepan or electric deep fat fryer. Have a heavy reliable frying pan, non stick or a barbecue or grill hot.
2. Season the flour with salt and pepper in a bowl and have another ready with the Plymouth Gin in. Pass half the anchovies through the flour, dusting off any excess then through the gin and then through the flour again.
3. Season the other anchovies and rub and brush with a little oil and grill or fry for a minute or so on each side until crisp. Meanwhile deep fry the floured anchovies for a couple minutes or so until crisp, turning them as they are cooking with a slotted spoon then drain on some kitchen paper.
4. To serve toss the leaves with the shaved squash, Oil and lemon and arrange on serving plates with the fried and grilled anchovies.
5. Keep things simple and pair with a crisp and fresh Plymouth Gin & Tonic garnished with a lemon twist.